Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ode to Cheese

And what will I do?
My sometimes-yellow, sometimes-white shepherd
I am nothing without you
From an early childhood of string cheese
Trying to remain diligent and
Digest one string at a time
It would last half the stick
The rest devoured in two bites
You stuck with me when I was a teenager
Still so ignorant of your illuminating ways
I would cover toasted bread with American slices
Still waiting for those days to be introduced
Alex
This is Mr. and Mr. Provolone
Meet their kids
Colby Catalina
Fred Feta
Patsy Paneer

Of all
It might be you
Pepper Jack
We only knew each other a few years
Not enough time to develop that sustaining commitment
That refreshing aura all solid friendships provide
Forgive me
One day you will understand

Tell all the rest
Parmesan on pasta
Nacho cheese at the Dome
My beloved mozzarella sticks
I will miss them dearly
True friends you have all been

I walk now into the darkness
That is my future diet
I will mourn every morning
Part of me will die at sunset
Let this be my lament
Let it stand as a testament of loving
And letting go
This is not temporary
This is my final goodbye
The eulogy
Procession
Burial

This is my ode to tearful goodbyes
This is my ode to Cheese

3 comments:

  1. Oh man... I totally cried a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. alex would it help if we started a web comic with the abovementioned characters? the big cheese(s). we can make most of the panels in MS Paint. our first comic could deal with the upheaval of the neighborhood when the nut cheeses move in.

    it's all about healing. i liked this one very much! ~ab

    ReplyDelete