Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Today Is For Burying Teeth

Today is for burying teeth

One
Outside my childhood library
First kiss
Seventh grade
Skidding nerves
Thirteen years
Her hair
Beautiful blonde
Eyes green
Like freshly cut grass
Her mother
Waiting
The moon
Stage light
Set on us
Tooth buried
Next to the front door

Two
Thanksgiving night
2003
Painful transition
From
World-class flake
To
Other-world dreamer
Her
Driving mom’s SUV
Me
Crawling on my knees
She
Skips on pins and needles
Resembling
A wrecking ball
I am ruined
My tooth
Buried next to the parking lot

Three
Twenty years waiting
Seemed liked forty
You
Perfect piece
We
Fit together
Before
Worry
After
Relief
We never did
Wash his sheets
This one
Buried under the window

Four
Can still feel
Crisp breeze
Yawning sun
You
Gaze at stars
I
Spout philosophy
We
Never had a chance
I’m ok with that
Hope you are too
Perhaps
Best night of my life
Strangers held hands
Acquaintances kissed
Fools
Building futures
With no roots
The final tooth
Secreted in rocks
Hoping
To be carried to the sea
Praying
To be forgotten

I covered them
With the dirt
You gave me
Composed of
Miracles
And
Wishes
May my teeth
Be comforted
By that blanket
May my empty sockets
Now be home
To something new

Today
Is for burying teeth

2 comments:

  1. This made me feel melancholy, yet hopeful. It also made me think of Where the Wild Things Are, and the part where Carol is talking about his teeth falling out, and how one day you wake up and your teeth are far apart. Melancholy. Yet hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. boy alex you are getting pretty prolific! i like this one bunches.

    ReplyDelete