Saturday, February 27, 2010

What's for Dinner Farmer Jim?

Homegrown vegetables are healthy and good,

I would eat them every day out of your garden if I could.

Steamed, sautéed, or thrown in a stew,

Raw is my preference when eating with you.


If I get hungry I know where to turn,

Saliva trickles and tastebuds yearn.

For your succulent harvest,

For the most ripe of your goods.

You labor so diligently and I accept your request

To expend all of my efforts in devouring your best.


Before we enjoy the delicious main course,

Calories must be spent with just the right amount of force.

Turn on some music, grab some wine and relax,

With me in the kitchen you’ll never go back.


I will…

Peel your carrot

Marinate your summer squash

Shuck your corn

Choke your artichoke

Stalk your celery

Deep-fry your eggplant

Toss your salad

Braise your zucchini

Roast your peppers

Salt your cucumber


This five course meal just wouldn’t be complete,

Without a climax of something unique, perfect, and sweet.

Dessert will be had in style and warmth,

When peaches and bananas simmer together at last,

A luscious combination that’s sure to go fast.


A plump, juicy cherry is a luxurious treat,

I’ll give you mine now, if you promise to meet

Me tomorrow for another round

Of vegetable worship, I’ll give you the crown!


So come when you’re ready,

And say it loud if you must.

We’ll feast on the Earth’s bounty

It’s in her that we trust.

3 comments: